Import-Export Process of PST Files in Exchange Server
The requirements of a user and an organization keeps changing on daily basis. Therefore, while working on Exchange Server environment, users need to perform process of import or export PST files. But, there are many users out there who are still confused in the import-export process of PST files in Exchange Server. Thus, keeping this requirement of users in mind, we have discussed the stepwise procedure for the same in this blog in detail.
Before You Begin
There are some common steps, which are required to be done before actual Import-Export process of PST Files in Exchange Server. All of them are described below:
- Creating a Shared Folder (EXUtil$)
Before starting the Import/ Export process, one needs to create a Shared Folder that can be used further for other features such as Certificates in Exchange 2013. This folder can be created anywhere on the network.
Note: It is recommended to avoid C: drive as it will fill up all your system drive space.
- Providing Permission
Exchange Trusted Subsystem must have access to EXUtil$ (Shared Folder). So, add the Exchange Trusted Subsystem to both Share Level and Security Level and also provide the full control permissions.
- Adding Import/Export Permission
The permission of Import/Export are not allocated to users by default in an Exchange environment. So, for assigning the permission, follow the steps below:
- Using Organization Management, open Exchange Admin Center (EAC)
- Choose Permissions
- Double-click on the Role, which is already assigned to the user
- Then, click Add in the Role section
- Choose Mailbox Import Export, then OK
Export Exchange Mailbox to PST
After giving permissions and shared folder creation, it’s time to begin Export process. Follow the steps mentioned below:
- Move on to the users in EAC (Exchange Admin Center)
- Choose the desired mailbox for the conversion. Then, click on the … button and then choose Export to a PST file option
- Provide the location of the Shared Folder which you have created in the previous section and add its name.
- At last, you need to select the users that will receive the messages regarding the process details and completion
- The user that is exporting data will also receive message containing details via Exchange Admin Center. The selected user will be notified about the Export Exchange Mailbox to PST process including both Starting and Finish messages of the process.
Alternative Solution to Move Emails from Exchange to PST
Manual solutions discussed above have many limitations like it is quite lengthy and complex to perform. Thus, to convert Exchange Mailbox to PST hassle-free, one is suggested to use the third-party tool i.e SysTools Exchange Export which can Export Multiple Exchange Server Mailboxes into MS Outlook PST in bulk. It also supports both Exchange 32 bit & 64 bit along with all version of Windows OS.
Method to Import PST Files into Exchange
The steps for Importing PST file data is similar as of export processes. Simply follow the steps mentioned below:
- First, you need to choose the mailbox and click … icon. Then, select the option of Import PST
- On the first wizard, you have to specify the location of the PST file that is available in the Shared Folder created at the starting of this article. And, then click on the Next button
- Then, you need to confirm the mailbox which will receives the contents of PST files. Then click Next
- On final page, you are allowed to select users, which will be receiving messages regarding the process or importation going on. Multiple users can also be selected by Browse option.
Hassle-Free Solution to migrate PST File to Exchange
Even if a user is not able to import PST into Exchange Mailbox through the given steps. Users can use available third-party tools for the same. One of the best tool is SysTools Exchange Import which can map & import Outlook PST to Exchange 2013 in bulk. It includes all the advance features like excluding duplicate contacts, searching user in sub-domain etc.
Import-Export Process of PST files in Exchange Server is a tedious task. Still there are many users who are continuously looking for a solution for the same. As it is the common searched query over the internet. So, we have covered a complete stepwise procedure to import and export PST files. But the discussed steps are quite bulky and tedious to perform. For easier migration third-party tools are also listed. Which will provide all the advanced options to a user without any technical difficulty.